Congress is moving quickly to pass a tax bill that will place critical programs for people with disabilities at great risk! The bill will reduce federal revenues so much that Congress is all but certain to move to cut programs to pay for the tax cuts. In fact, several Members of Congress have been promised that Medicaid and other programs will be cut next year if Congress votes for a bill that increases the deficit.
We need your help to stop this dangerous legislation!
Congress is also planning to repeal the “individual mandate” that requires people to obtain health care coverage or face penalties. This will result in nearly 14 million people losing health coverage and will increase premiums for people buying insurance on the health insurance exchange by 10% every year. The individual mandate is a critical piece of the complex system of incentives and penalties created by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and repealing it would undermine the entire law.
This bill is moving quickly – the full Senate is expected to vote the week after Thanksgiving. The Senate Finance Committee is working on its tax bill right now and is expected to approve it this week.
1. Call Senator Cory Gardner in Washington D.C. at 202-224-5941
2. Call Senator Michael Bennet in Washington D.C. at 202-224-5852
3. Ask your friends and family to call their Senators. They can find the Senators for their state here: https://www.
- I am a member of The Arc.
- Please vote against the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- This bill will harm people with disabilities by reducing needed federal revenue and taking away health care for many people.